How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been a tier 1 sex offender yrs. now they want to

Customer Question

I have been a tier 1 sex offender for 12 yrs. now they want to change me to a tier 3 . I have served jail time 3 yrs probation and 3 yrs sex abuse classes.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this situation.

Please tell me what information I can provide for you in this regard. What is the question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John Walsh law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want to change my tier 1 that I have been on 12 yrs to a tier3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I am not sure of what information you are seeking. However, in 2012 the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found that it was “constitutionally sound” for Nevada to apply tough new retroactive requirements for registered sex offenders under a state law.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

It will apply retroactively, unfortunately. And if the offense originally committed was a category A assault (NRS 200.366), lewdness with a child (NRS 201.230), or any number of other sexual offenses the offender can be re categorized as a Tier 3

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You can consider consulting with a local defense attorney to see if there are any appeals of the 9th circuits decision and maybe they can assist in challenging the change of tiers.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps, while you are still a Tier I offender, you can have a local attorney file a petition requesting the court for an early release from registration. That can be filed after you have registered for at least 10 consecutive years