How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102368
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My water was cut off in October 2015. I have had several

Customer Question

My water was cut off in October 2015. I have had several phone calls wit the PSA and they say I have a bad leak. Had a contractor look for leak could not find one. The meter is in another person's yard 2 tenths of a mile up the road from my drive way. They will not allow me to dig on them. Have asked and asked to have my meter moved to my land no action still. Need water. Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Stephen. Can you please clarify the official reason why your water was cut off? Is it because they claim:

-you damaged the delivery system, i.e. pipes?

-non payment?

-that they are working on it and simply have to repair it?


This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sent me a 1700 dollar bill and I called and challenged it and they said the would look at the meter and get back to me bu did not here anything. They sent another bill at 3400 dollars and turned my water off and I have been back and forth with them ever since
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

So they turned off the water because you did not pay the bill, whereas you believe the bill to be exaggerated which is why you did not pay. Okay. Well, I do have a solution to such a situation, but it would involve going to Court to resolve this (or threatening to do so). Would this be acceptable? It may not be possible to resolve this simply by calling important agencies/elected officials.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then what course should I take? I need water!
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

What someone in your situation wants to do is to file a Writ of Mandamus, or a general suit for breach of contract or declaratory judgment, asking the Court to decide how much is REALLY OWED. This way, the Court will look at the bill and make a decision. Meanwhile, someone in your situation wants to pay what they believe is owed.

The problem is that this solution takes a few months at least. Perhaps, the threat of a lawsuit may work. You can use an attorney to send such a threatening letter for best effects. If you'd like, I can provide a list of pro bono (free) /low cost counsel in Virginia who may be able to do so.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would appreciate any help you could send me.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

No promises, but

I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

…and another list:

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!