How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33759
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got of alcohol rehab a month ago from a treatment center

Customer Question

I got of alcohol rehab a month ago from a treatment center here in the Memphis ,tn area. Two weeks after I left that center a young lady contacted one of my brother. She was doing a "follow as to how I was doing. She worked for another treatment center in which I never entered that center nor did I give them permission to contact anyone that I know. The brother that was contacted is a therapist and he called me right after he received the phone call from this women, in which he informed my that this was a violation of my [privacy rights. I need legal counsel to file a civil suit. Can you help me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I can discuss this with you but I'm sure he was talking about your HIPAA rights and courts don't allow private citizens to file civil suits for HIPAA violations. Most people don't know this but the courts ruled on this matter many years ago. You can read abuot a recent ruling by the TN Supreme Court at

Many lawyers are now looking for a way around this by alleging other causes of action, etc. but none of them have been successful so far, at least all the way to the supreme Court to get a final ruling on this. You can certainly hire a lawyer and try to be the one that "makes the law" on this type of case but it is going to be an expensive endeavor.

The law does allow the state Attorneys General to file a civil cause of action as well as the Department of Health and Human Services. You can contact the DHHS and file a complaint using the information at this page:

If You have any additional questions about this please feel free to ask them in this thread. Many people don't believe the law is as we say it is so I'm nore than willing to provide links, etc. to substantiate my information, just as I did above.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you still want to pursue this then you would need a lawyer that does Civil Litigation and you can find one at