Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am trying to buy an existing dry cleaner business(been around for 16 years). I am in texas.

Customer Question
I am trying to buy...
I am trying to buy an existing dry cleaner business(been around for 16 years). I am in texas. can you tell me what questions or what to look for ,to enable make a wise decision to buy or not to buy
thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

I can give you some general direction, but without knowing what you know and your prior experience, it's hard to give you the specific questions. What you want to do is structure this as an asset purchase rather than a purchase of the business itself so you avoid stepping into any existing liabilities, lawsuits, etc. To do this, you want to enter into an Asset Purchase Agreement which provides for the seller to deliver a comprehensive list of documentation regarding all aspects of the operations of the business, existing contracts, any lawsuits, existing lease, financial records, etc., etc., and giving you a due diligence period to review these materials. The Asset Purchase Agreement also will contain a list of representations and warranties that the seller must make with regard to the business. Once you have had a chance to review all the information provided, you can then make a determination of whether or not to move forward. :)

Richard, Attorney