How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been living with my significant partner as common law

Customer Question

I've been living with my significant partner as common law for almost 14 years in Wisconsin where it's not recognized. We own a house, which is only in his name, but I've been paying 1/2 the mortgage from the beginning. We did not file or write up any type of contract regarding the house. I purchased many household items. I recently found out about an affair he was having and our relationship may be ending. What is my legal recourse?
JA: Well, we require $5. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin.
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I didn't know what my options were yet.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You may call me at(###) ###-####(work). I will be available for your phone call at after 1:00 p.m. today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You may also answer by chat which I will check back for. If you receive my voice mail, please leave a call back number. Thank you.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information here.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

So do you have a list of the property that would be considered your separate property - that would be what you brought with you and did not buy together? Also a list of property that your bought on your own while in the relationship along with any property that was bought jointly?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I do not participate in phone calls and so we will continue here when you're ready. Thanks

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You will need to consider having a list of the property as I outlined above. Sit with your partner and discuss the list. If there are discrepancies see if you can work it out among you. If you cannot, then you might want to consider mediation. As to you contributing to the mortgage, unfortunately, a court will look at that as if you were paying rent - unless your Name is ***** ***** the Deed.

IF your name is ***** ***** Deed, then I suggest you can file a lawsuit to request the home be sold and proceeds split equally 50.50. That would be a Petition to Partition for the Sale of the house.

Please let me know if you have other questions.