How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10023
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I won a $4400 judgement against safe auto. How do I get them

Customer Question

I won a $4400 judgement against safe auto. How do I get them to pay ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear this; First one needs to get an Abstract of Judgment from the court.

This can be filed in the recorder's office in any county where the defendant has property, and it serves as public notice that the judgment creditor has a lien on that real property and they will receive payment upon the sale of that property.

One may also obtain a Writ of Execution to attempt to seize the debtor's non-exempt property to satisfy the judgment. A very effective tool for businesses is to request the appointment of a receiver pursuant to Code 31.002 -the receiver can seize assets of the business-they can even take over the entire business. Other remedies include writ of attachments to specific property, and turnover orders (which order the judgment debtor to bring specified property to court). The court can also order the judgment debtor to be in contempt if they refuse to comply with the court orders.

30 days after judgment one can conduct post judgment discovery-such as request for production, interrogatories, etc, to help determine the assets of the debtor.

There are also firms that specialize in collections of judgment but they usually charge a percentage of the money received.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

A writ of garnishment also allows recovery, for it directs a third party (ie a bank) to turn over money to the judgment creditor.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I came across this while researching for another customer and thought it would come in handy:

Thank you and take care.

Related Legal Questions