How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend has received a judgement against m in the state of

Customer Question

My friend has received a judgement against him in the state of Florida for child support payments. He resides in Georgia and has never lived in Florida. What does the judgement in Florida mean?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He is unemployed and has been for several years. He recently applied for SSI disability. He is 59 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice /legal service you should contact a local attorney.

What is the amount of the judgment for unpaid / delinquent child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Does your friend have any assets at all?

Does your friend have a driver license or US passport?

Is there warrant for your friend's arrest based on his failure to pay court ordered child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hads no assets.
He has a driver's license and a US passport
As of today, there is no warrant for his arrest only the judgement against him.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, if a person has unpaid child support in the amount of $2500 or more, his/her US Passport would be revoked / not renewed and also driver license would get suspended / revoked until the unpaid amount is paid off or payment arrangements are made.

Also, in many cases a bench warrant would be issued, so even if the bench warrant is issued in Florida, the person who has such outstanding bench warrant can be picked up and extradited to Florida from any US state and then will have to face the judge to explain as to why the child support is not being paid and might get incarcerated until the delinquent child support is paid off or some type of payment arrangement to pay off delinquent child support are made.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Related Legal Questions