How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13503
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question if I sue a psychiatrist and a psychiatric

Customer Question

I have a question if I sue a psychiatrist and a psychiatric hospital for involuntarily committing me under false imprisonment and I lose the case can I be sued by them for costs such as having to hire expert witnesses and say a private investigator. even if the case is not frivolus. I live in Denver Colorado. also are their specialty insurance companys out there that you know of where I could buy a policy to protect me if I lose in court and get hit with such costs to protect me. because I really want to sue this psychiatrist and hospital or what is my maximum liability in such a case.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Your attorney is correct - if you lose the case, the defense can ask the court to award them attorney fees/costs. My professional experience has been that judges rarely do that (typically ordering that each side pay their own fees and costs of litigation) I can't speak for Colorado or the judge you have assigned to your case, so I defer to your attorney there. Similarly, because I don't know the specifics of your case and haven't conducted a full case analysis, I cannot give you a reasonable idea of what your maximum liability would be -that is something your lawyer can tell you. However, consider that the average attorney will charge somewhere in the $300/hr range, and the amount of hours it would take just to get to trial and prep for trial. And then figure that a firm would likely have multiple attorneys preparing that case for trial. Being ordered to pay just the attorney fees could land a very substantial judgment against you.

I am unaware of any specialty insurance companies that cover you specifically for litigation. There are legal plans that provide lawyers for a fee and that give you a set amount of legal coverage per year, and of course businesses and certain professions have liability coverage. My suggestion would be to check your homeowner's insurance if you are a homeowner, as many plans include coverage against civil litigation, even if the matter has nothing to do with your home.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to click on the stars to leave me a positive rating today, as that is the only way I am paid for my time and assistance. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you as it has been a few days.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.