Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need to sue a California Hotel me Transient Occupancy Tax

Customer Question
I need to sue a...
I need to sue a California Hotel for charging me Transient Occupancy Tax last 8.5 years total is over 28K. Trying to find out if I sue all the owners of this property as I know it changed hands.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, it is a straight shot case....I have all the law information on this.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: And receipts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to know if I sue all the owners of this hotel past 8.5 years or just the present owner. Hotel staff was negligent in charging me 8% Transient Occupancy Tax--- each day when I am not a Transient. During my time here, asked many times about lowering fees I paid and was told they could do nothing. I already asked to be paid back. There paralegal is dragging feet and I am not going to wait anymore. I would like my money. I am in Los Angeles.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a Residence Inn by Marriott...so do I sue Marriott too? Like Erin Andrews case where she had that issue, similar set up with being owned by x but the name Marriott. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, how much interest should I charge for past due monies owed me 8.5 years worth.
I had no idea they were doing this until about two weeks ago...thus the reason I am taking action now.
6/7/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are suing the hotel, even though it has changed ownership over the years, you name the current hotel business, because they are the successors in interest from the previous owners. Thus, they are liable for anything the previous owners did that caused them to owe you as well as for what they have continued to do if they have been improperly charging you the tax.
You need to look up the owner of the corporation on the Secretary of State's website and that is who you sue and the website will list the agent for service, which is the party you have served with the suit.
Pre and post judgment interest rate in CA is set by the state at 9% per year.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney