How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently contacted to be a witness in a civil case.

Customer Question

I was recently contacted to be a witness in a civil case. The defendant in that case has since filed a false complaint against me at my workplace in an attempt to have me fired. Is this considered witness tampering and who/how do I report it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It likely i snot witness tampering although it is certainly possible that the facts could develop to support it. If the judge finds that it was witness tampering then he would be inclined to sanction them strongly and may send the matter to the DA.

As to how to handle it the best way is to contact the lawyer that is representing the party that wants you to testify and ask them for their assistance. they may not be able to do anything directly but they may also want to file the Motion for Sanctions, etc.

You're not allowed to contact the judge directly at this point so your options are really to 1) contact the lawyer, 2) hire your own lawyer, or 3) contact the police although they are almost certainly going to tell you "it's a civil matter".

The lawyer may also advise you to contact the judge but if the lawyer tells you that then you wouldn't get into trouble for it whereas if you do it yourself you might/would.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.