How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an heir is incarcerated and still has 31/2 yrs left

Customer Question

if an heir is incarcerated and still has 31/2 yrs left before getting out is there another way to get around him signing for someone to get the safty deposit box open
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. The incarcerated heir can assign a limited Power Of Attorney to someone they trust. The Limited POA can specifically assign that it is to open a Safe Deposit Box. HERE is a LINK for such a POA. The incarcerated heir only needs to sign it in front of a Notary. The facility where they are incarcerated should have a Notary on site and the incarcerated person can have their case manager assist in locating the Notary.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Once the assigned POA has the document, they can take it to the bank and the bank should allow the access. They will need to see the original and the bank can make copies.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know, if you have other questions in this regard. Otherwise a positive rating ensures I get credit for my time and information. Thank you.