How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27289
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On March 17, 2014, I had a stint put in my right leg. All

Customer Question

On March 17, 2014, I had a stint put in my right leg. All went well. While having the procedure done, they went into my left leg. the result has left me on SSD. They severed nerves. I have been going to the Mayo clinic now for almost two years in hopes that something can be done to restore my leg. I can not work, I'm in pain 24/7, I have had all types of therapy and the outcome is I may have to live like this the rest of my life. I have never filed against anyone in my life but I think its about time that I do something. I have never defaulted on anything but I refused to pay for that procedure and as a result, they have trashed my credit. Things just seem to be going down hill. Is there anything that can be done for my family?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Are you asking about a medical malpractice claim? If so, can you please share with me what State you are in as well? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Florida
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it would be malpractice
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Allow me a moment.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

You very well may have a good faith basis to proceed with a medical malpractice claim. A lot depends on the timing of everything, since the statute of limitations may be relevant and could prevent you from recovering. In Florida, you must file your case within two years of discovering the injury, or when the court believes you should have found the injury. At the latest, a case may be filed four years from when the malpractice occurred. This means if four years have passed since the incident that caused your injury, you cannot make a claim against a medical provider. This is true even if you did not discover the injury until four years have passed. There is an exception to the statute of limitations. If a provider deliberately deceived you in order to prevent you from discovering malpractice injuries—known as fraudulent concealment—a case could be brought against them up to seven years after treatment. Now, with all that being said, you can and should speak with a personal injury attorney and/or medical malpractice attorney who can look over the facts of your case and see if there is a good faith basis to proceed. If so, they would likely take the case on a contingency basis and would only be paid if they can recover for you. The consultation would be free and if they take the case, they can also likely handle the issue with the bills/collections which has resulted. If you want to do something for yourself and your family, consult with the attorney today, either in person or over the phone and let them look into this, since the 2 year time period has passed BUT you may still be able to get in and file.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help to please just let me know.