Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

On March 17, 2014, I had a stint put in my right leg. All

Customer Question
went well. While having...
On March 17, 2014, I had a stint put in my right leg. All went well. While having the procedure done, they went into my left leg. the result has left me on SSD. They severed nerves. I have been going to the Mayo clinic now for almost two years in hopes that something can be done to restore my leg. I can not work, I'm in pain 24/7, I have had all types of therapy and the outcome is I may have to live like this the rest of my life. I have never filed against anyone in my life but I think its about time that I do something. I have never defaulted on anything but I refused to pay for that procedure and as a result, they have trashed my credit. Things just seem to be going down hill. Is there anything that can be done for my family?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good morning. Are you asking about a medical malpractice claim? If so, can you please share with me what State you are in as well? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in Florida
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe it would be malpractice

Thank you. Allow me a moment.

You very well may have a good faith basis to proceed with a medical malpractice claim. A lot depends on the timing of everything, since the statute of limitations may be relevant and could prevent you from recovering. In Florida, you must file your case within two years of discovering the injury, or when the court believes you should have found the injury. At the latest, a case may be filed four years from when the malpractice occurred. This means if four years have passed since the incident that caused your injury, you cannot make a claim against a medical provider. This is true even if you did not discover the injury until four years have passed. There is an exception to the statute of limitations. If a provider deliberately deceived you in order to prevent you from discovering malpractice injuries—known as fraudulent concealment—a case could be brought against them up to seven years after treatment. Now, with all that being said, you can and should speak with a personal injury attorney and/or medical malpractice attorney who can look over the facts of your case and see if there is a good faith basis to proceed. If so, they would likely take the case on a contingency basis and would only be paid if they can recover for you. The consultation would be free and if they take the case, they can also likely handle the issue with the bills/collections which has resulted. If you want to do something for yourself and your family, consult with the attorney today, either in person or over the phone and let them look into this, since the 2 year time period has passed BUT you may still be able to get in and file.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help to please just let me know.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney