Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

The following was posted online about me and my financee. Do

Customer Question

The following was posted online about me and my financee. Do i have a case for slander?
WARNING to anyone in the Ohio Valley with rental properties!!!!! Do not rent to ****************!!!! They rented from my mother and stole all her furniture!!!! The apartment was fully furnished and now it's all gone so keep in mind who you are renting to!!! They are thiefs!!!!!!
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If the claim about theft is false, then there is a case, arguably. The essential elements for a successful defamation action by a private individual are (1) defamatory statements; (2) a nonprivileged communication to a third party; (3) falsity; (4) reference to the plaintiff; (5) at least negligence on the part of the publisher; and (6) resulting injury. Garrison v. Herbert J. Thomas Mem. Hosp., 438 SE 2d 6 - W Va: Supreme Court of Appeals 1993 (internal citations omitted).

As such, this could indeed be construed as defamation and a case can be made if one is being accused of theft.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!