Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If a Kuwaiti citizen, while visiting in Arizona commits a

Customer Question
serious felony violation involving BOTH...
If a Kuwaiti citizen, while visiting in Arizona commits a serious felony violation involving BOTH violence and "great bodily injury" upon a legal resident of Arizona and flees back to Kuwait before trial, can (or will) the Kuwait Government extradite that person back to Arizona upon a demand/request by the State of Arizona (more likely a demand/request by the U.S. Government?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Safely assume that the AZ crime(s) are also crimes in Kuwait and that there is overwhelming evidence of guilt (including a confession).
6/3/2016
Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Hammer O'Justice

Hello.

It is almost certain that they will not. Not only has Kuwait has not signed on to an extradition treaty with the United States, so they are not in any way obligated to return a fugitive, but the Kuwaiti Constitution actually prohibits the extradition of a Kuwaiti citizen to another country. So even if the Kuwaiti government were inclined to extradite a fugitive when they are not required to do so by treaty, they are actively prohibited by their own Constitution to do so. They have reiterated this position as recently as a couple of months ago, so it is unlikely to change:

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/no-extradition-kuwaiti-citizen/

Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney