How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had s glasses removed from a child that was sitting

Customer Question

My son had his glasses removed from a child that was sitting next to him on the bus. He said he was going to throw his glasses out the window. Stevie took his hat. Apparentlly the situation on the bus got worse. There was a HiB investigation he was found not guilty but his name is ***** ***** report. Should I make an insodent report with police? Will this follow him through out his educaition ? What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

What state is this in regards ***** *****? and how old are the children involved? Were the police involved, or was this handled internally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was
Handled by the Hib person at hillsborough middle s chocolate.The parents filed the report.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry; I am not set up right now to handle phone calls. If you would like to continue on this page, I will definitely do my best to get you the needed information. Please let me know if you would like to continue. If so please let me know the state. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are located nj
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The HiB law defines harassment, intimidation or bullying as “any gesture, any written, verbal or physical act, or any electronic communication, whether it be a single incident or series of incidents, that is reasonably perceived as being motivated either by any actual or perceived characteristic… that takes place on school property, at any school-sponsored function, on a school bus, or off school grounds … that substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other students, and that a reasonable person should know, under the circumstances, will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a student or damaging a student’s property, or placing a student in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his person or damage his property.”

The parent of the child is entitled to a report of the incident, and it should list which party is the victim. The report is also filed with the Board of Education.

If a parent disagrees with the report they can request an appeal with the school board via an executive meeting. more information is here

The main purpose of the Act is to ensure that schools respond promptly and efficiently to any situations that involve bullying.

If you feel your child has been bullied, one may contact the police but generally the school will provide services to help the victim, and also to help prevent the other child from engaging in such behavior.

This explains the investigative process

The state also has a very helpful and detailed guide here

If a minor child causes any harm to another party the child's parents are legally responsible; most parents are not aware of that.

But again, the Act is designed to ensure that school officials respond quickly (within 10 days) and efficiently so as to protect the children and to help get counseling or other remedies for either party.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see how the above worked out for you.

If you decide to hire an attorney:

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Thank you for using JA!