How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I re a Texas lawyer of state problems. I have bad checks

Customer Question

Can I hire a Texas lawyer for out of state problems. I have bad checks in Oklahoma and Arkansas and I want to clear them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

A Texas licensed attorney can assist you with negotiating out of state debts (such as bad checks), however unless the attorney is actually licensed in the other states (Oklahoma and Arkansas), they cannot appear in court as your representative.

(there is a narrow exception allowing an attorney to petition to appear in another jurisdiction, but this is far too complex a process for a bad check case - it is used in very complex matters, most often when a large company wants their corporate counsel to represent them in another state).

It is not uncommon for attorneys to hold multiple bar licenses (so you may find a TX attorney that is licensed in one or both of these other states), but if all you need is a lawyer to contact these creditors and negotiate a settlement on your behalf, a TX attorney can do that for you.

You can find attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.