How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42871
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I were in a friends car which was rear-ended at

Customer Question

My wife and I were in a friends car which was rear-ended at a stop light Sunday 5/17/15.
We were taken by ambulance to the hospital. We have incurred over $4,000 in Doctor / Therapy / Pharmacy out-of-pocket costs beyond the PIP coverage which was exhausted on 6/19/15. We never were approached by the drivers Insurance Company. I want to take the negligent driver to Small Claims Court to recover our losses. Would it be prudent to have legal representation ? I am planning to attend a Small Claims Court Clinic in Miami tomorrow but am not sure what to do ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You certainly can sue the driver here for negligence and get judgment.You may be able to collect then on the judgment and it liens any real property.You can do this yourself.If the other driver hasn't paid the limits here they may represent and try to settle with you here.Thats a possibility.I would try and file this yourself in small claims here.

A small claims case is a legal action filed in county court to settle minor legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is $5,000 or less, excluding costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Forms that have been approved for statewide use are located within the Florida Small Claims Rules.


I would sue here for the $5k max and you also get filing fees and court costs as well.

I am so sorry you have had to go through this.I appreciate the chance to help you today.

If you had underinsured motorists you can file with your insurance here too.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again if you can positive rate when we are done it is always sincerely ***** *****