Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am applying passport first time. I am 64 years old. When I

Customer Question
I am applying for a...
I am applying for a passport for the first time. I am 64 years old. When I was 5yo I was adopted. When I was 18yo I wanted to take my birth father's name. I couldn't afford a legal name change at the time and was told that I could use my birth father's name as long as I listed my adopted name as an alias - which I have done throughout my life. I sent for my birth certificate as a requirement for my passport and my adopted name is ***** ***** Both parents are deceased so I can't get a notarized letter from them. What should I do to make the Dept. of State know that I am the same person on my driver's license that I am on my birth certificate? Thank you so much, any insight will be most appreciated.
Sincerely,
Murray *************
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Murray. Please tell me - what does your SSN card say? Is it under your birth last name or your informally adopted last name?

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!
Tina, Lawyer