How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband paid dentures ($400) and he is not satisfied with

Customer Question

My husband paid for upper dentures ($400) and he is not satisfied with the length of the front teeth. He signed some form that they shoved in front of him, without explaining it to him. He can't read either. The denture establishment won't fix the teeth, but they will upgrade to a more expensive denture. What if any rights do we have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You should read the contract before either of you talk to the dentist, because they could try to use clauses within it to avoid paying. It's not a defense that your husband can't read, because the law says that a person who signs a contract has read, understood, and agreed with everything in it. You need to know what language is in there that they might try to use against you.

With that said, when you pay someone to do work for you, there is an implied covenant that they will do it correctly. If the teeth do not fit, they need to fix them or refund enough of your money that someone else can. They can't make you pay more for a more expensive item because they breached the contract. If they will not fix the teeth, you can sue them for the cost of having another dentist do so, or for the cost of getting the correct dentures from another dentist. If you prefer to avoid going to court, it sometimes helps to send a letter, via certified mail, giving them one chance to return the money. If you are not a lawyer, you cannot represent your husband. You can take dictation for a letter if he tells you what to say, but he needs to be the one to sign it, and the letter should be from him. Otherwise, a local attorney can draft a letter from you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.