How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10259
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today my daughters Guidance Counselor was hanging out in s

Customer Question

Today my daughters Guidance Counselor was hanging out in his office with another student. He told this student what my daughters GPA was, said her parents did not care and told this student that my daughter would never graduate. My daughter has been a decent student, but has had a not so good year grade wise. nevertheless - this is her business and not something a GC should share with a random student. Now that information is being passed around and my daughter is embarrassed. In addition I have never met this guy and his statement about us as parents has no merit. My question: Do I have legal recouse against him personally, the school or even the school board. Wanted to check before I make an appointment to see him and the Principal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this;

A guidance counselor is privy to private information and it is expected that this information will only be released if justified/necessary.

An aggrieved parent can bring suit on behalf of the minor, alleging breach of trust and invasion of privacy.

Damages are typically pain and suffering (emotional damage) and/or punitives.

For punitives to be awarded (they are designed to punish the defendant and deter others from similar misconduct) one needs generally to prove malice.

In order to prevail on a breach of trust, one needs to establish that the defendant was in a position of trust and violated that trust;

for a privacy suit, one needs to prove that one had a reasonable expectation regarding privacy as to the subject matter, and that the defendant publicized (written or oral) that information.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the suit filed against the individual or the employer - in this case the school?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you recomend that I contact a lawyer prior to scheduling a meeting with the counselor and Principal? What type of practice would handle something like this?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I would urge you to contact an attorney;

if any of the information was untrue, the lawsuit can include a cause of action for defamation (oral or written lies)

A general civil litigator could assist; some attorneys even specialize in education law but they are harder to locate. The named defendants would be the individual and the school district when a school employee is accused of a wrongdoing.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see how this worked out for you.

Thank you for using JA- hopefully this works out with minimal problems. Thank you.