How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118708
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have $12,000 unclaimed stock that went to the State of

Customer Question

I have $12,000 unclaimed stock that went to the State of Massachusetts. It went to them in October of 2015 and has not been posted yet, I am unable to secure it because I can't place a claim until it is posted. I have called the state treasurer office repeatedly and they are unwilling to help. They just tell me to wait. I shouldn't have to wait this long to get my property. Do I have any options? I have contacted them repeatedly. State agencies just don't seem to care ! The stock was sent to them from ComputerShare.
Thank you,
Mark Feldman
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The MA treasurer is the only one who can release the shares once they have been surrendered to them. If the state treasurer is not replying to you, they have had ample time to record the funds if they were indeed sent to them in October 2015, since it is only (according to them) supposed to take them 3 months to record the unclaimed funds and publish them for release. If you cannot speak to the MA Treasurer directly, then the next place is the governor's office. Send a letter to both. If you get no response, your final recourse is you can sue them for "replevin" which is the common law tort for return of your property.
I am afraid that is the only process you can use to recover the funds once they are turned over to the Commonwealth.