How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42209
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal property management company that I work for, as

Customer Question

Is it legal for the property management company that I work for, as a maintenance man, to prohibit me from helping a friend, who is a tenant in the same apartment complex, with some very minor handy work, such as hanging a hook on the wall to hang her bike. Which I did on my own time and free. Can the employer make this a company policy? If so, can they fire me for doing this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

If this was off the clock here as you state I do not see that this was a problem.You were not on the clock here You were not acting in an employee situation it was strictly off the clock.Again I do not see this as a problem here, you were not on the clock not in an employer/employee capacity.All you can do really is point out you weren't on the clock and not violating any work rules that you were aware on, simply helping a friend nothing more.I think you have a good defense that this is not a work rules violation you were off the clock here in Florida.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you the best.I cannot see that they can terminate you here.Thank again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You might also file with EEOC if they take adverse action claiming they singled you out for disparate treatment.

File here

I would see how this goes, if they take action tell them you feel this is discrmination here and they are mistreating you here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you believe that you have been discriminated against at work because of your race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, you can file a Charge of Discrimination.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I don't believe the employer can force you to not help your your friend in this situation it was not work related and off the clock.

I appreciate the chance to help.If you can positive rate it is much appreciated.