How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My local Police dept Goose Creek SC, broke into my car and

Customer Question

My local Police dept Goose Creek SC, broke into my car and used my garage door opener to gain access to my house under the false pretenses of a "welfare check". It is my understanding the police cannot make entry in to residence, unless they hear a fight or commotion, or are in constant pursuit of a fleeing felon? The GCPD broke into my car took my garage door opener and used it to gain entrance to my house.
Being a retired NYPD officer I was armed at the time with my Glock 22, they only time they stated who they were, was when the were in my house. I am considering a civil suit against them. How can you help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes. That is an unfortunate incident. The Fourth Amendment is there to protect people from situations like this. However, if the police had a reasonable basis to believe there were exigent circumstances, then they can get around the Fourth Amendment. You will need to find out what they had been told that made them think it was necessary to do the welfare check in the first place, in order to determine if they had a reasonable basis to believe there were exigent circumstances. Best of luck to you.

Related Legal Questions