How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My house was foreclosed through strict foreclosure, law day

Customer Question

My house was foreclosed through strict foreclosure, law day was passed, I filed open and vacate judgment, the motion is denied.
Can I file appeal against the denial of the open and vacate judgment? If yes, why? If no, why?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to file any appeal, you need to have legal grounds for doing so. You can file to appeal the denial of your motion to open and vacate judgment only if you have legal cause for doing so. That means you need a statute or some case law and evidence to support your contention as to why the foreclosure should be reopened and vacated and why the lower court was wrong in denying your motion to do so.

Under CT law, the law day is the statutory last day you can seek to vacate a foreclosure and the only way around that is proving some type of fraud or that process was not properly followed and you perhaps never received notice of law day or some other good cause why the foreclosure was not objected to prior to the law day.