How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12410
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold my RV. It was out of state thus we filed 6 total

Customer Question

I sold my RV. It was out of state thus we filed 6 total different forms between our 2 states.
The buyer made 1 payment but now will not answer any of my attempts to contact him. We had agreed on 17 equal monthly payments and his first payment was through the bank which he said was automatic and would be every month,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'm sorry to hear about this trouble with the sale. I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TJ,thanks for your help.I need to know how to proceed with this issue. I am working overseas as a volunteer in a teaching charity and really could use that money.
I have tried calling him. Talked to one of his friends who said that they would call him yet no reply.Should I proceed with legal actions and if so what and how? Should I call a lawyer who handles debt collection? I am owed $4900 but would be willing to pay someone to recover it for me and accept less since it looks like he is going to give nothing.I have learned that his mother and he both have a bad history of debt including liens, bankruptcy, forfeiture of property, banks taking them to court, and so on.I just need the help and advice of a pro.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

My suggestion is that you contact an attorney in the state where the buyer is located in order to review your contract and documentation. If you retained a lien on the RV. If so, then you can fire a company to repossess the RV, sell it, and apply the proceeds towards the debt. You can also sue the buyer for the unpaid balance. If you contact the bar association in the state where the buyer is located, you can likely find a collections attorney who will be willing to sue the buyer in return for 40% (give or take) of the balance.

Once you obtain a judgment, then you can take other collection actions, such as go after the buyer's wages, garnish bank accounts, and place liens on the buyer's real estate.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!