How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a garnishment today from a Dentist .00. I know in

Customer Question

I received a garnishment today from a Dentist for 2900.00. I know in the state of Michigan you can only be garnished up to 25% of your wages. my question is I already have alimony deducted for 475.00 biweekly if this is greater than 25% can the Dentist then still garn over and above this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

The total garnishments from your wages cannot exceed the maximum allowed under MI law (so either the 25% or 30 times the Federal minimum wage, whichever is less).

So if you are already being garnished for 25%, then there cannot be any additional garnishments.

For help responding to the garnishment petition (including forms - located on the right hand column):

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my alimony payment coming out of check is considered into the 25% I know this exceeds 25% so are you saving the dentist that garnished me will not get anything out of check since my alimony is already over 25%?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Is your alimony actually being garnished, or are you simply paying your alimony with an automatic debit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The funds are being taken out of my check biweekly and sent to friend of the court. misdu and I know that they are tax deductible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It states shall pay modifiable spousal support in the amount of 950.00 dollar per month to defendant through misdu office of the macomb county friend of the court to dontinue until dealth of plaintiff or the death of the defendant. / spousal support is modifiable base upon prper showing of change of circumstances. A uniform support order will be entered simultaneously with the judgment under section 215 of the internal revenue ocie and taxable to the defendant under section 71
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

While I do not have all of your dissolution paperwork that supports the alimony deductions, I would speculate that this is a "voluntary" payment to satisfy your alimony obligation, it is not a garnishment that would count towards that 25% value.

However, if you do read through the information I provided to you above, you can use the alimony deductions when approaching the court about setting up a payment plan and/or attempting to limit the amount of money that the creditor can garnish. (Again the court forms located on the right hand side of the Court's webpage can be used for either purpose).