How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118270
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a vehicle that I couldn't afford anymore and worked

Customer Question

I had a vehicle that I couldn't afford anymore and worked with finance company to return without repo. I asked a friend to return vehicle and she failed to do so. She took over vehicle while I was in northern California I filed a 10certified demand letter I came back to Los Angeles to find the vehicle sitting in her driveway I called police and tow I removed vehicle the vehicle is completely destroyed and now I have a repossession against me. Please help this person is already on welfare so how do I make them pay for damages?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if the person is on welfare and has no assets or money, while you could sue them and get a judgment (which I presume you know already) there is nothing you could do to collect the judgment. Having a judgment you know you cannot collect is pretty much worthless to you, but legally the court cannot make her pay if she has nothing to pay from and they do not put people in jail for this type of debt.
Thus, I am afraid that your only other possible recourse is to approach the DA and seek to have them review the case for criminal prosecution for theft by fraud, but that is solely up to them and it still will not get your money back, but you could make them pay by doing jail time for their conduct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like them to pay for the crime I Wil contact DA and hopefully they will lose there section 8 and do jail time a judgment could make them pay and they could lose their license.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
That is up to the DA and they have the final say. If you get a judgment they can get their license back if they file bankruptcy to get your judgment extinguished though.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.