Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We will be traveling to Brazil and Argentina Septmber 9th

Customer Question

We will be traveling to Brazil and Argentina Septmber 9th and returning on Septmber 18th. From my research it is my understanding that we do not have to obtain A Visa. Is this correct? I do not want to have any trouble with this on the trip. We will be traveling as tourists. I cannot get a definite answer. Please answer. Frustrated! Thank you.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I completely understand your frustration. Typically, you would need a visa to enter Brazil, but because they want to encourage visitors to come to the Summer Olympics, they are waiving visas from June 1st through September 18th, so you should be fine with that. Here is a link with more detailed information:

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-01-05/americans-wont-need-visas-to-visit-brazil-this-summer

------

Argentina does not require visas from citizens of certain countries and the U.S. is one of them. Please see the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Argentina

---------

Of course, make sure that your passports are up to date and will not expire before your return date.

I hope this helped and wish you a wonderful trip!

I hope you found this answer helpful and will please take a moment to select a positive rating from the stars at the top of your page, then click 'submit;' this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. Thank you very much!

Even after rating, I will always be available if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest wishes,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are saying all we need is our passport and stop worrying about a visa. I would have thought our travel agent could give us a definite answer.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Yes, that is what I'm saying. Your travel agent should have been able to give you a definite answer. Ask him/her about the information I supplied you with. Here is another site that is very specific about the entry/exit requirements of U.S. Citizens into Argentina:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/argentina.html

---------

You can stay up to 90 days without a visa (which doesn't even apply to you).

The Brazil entry without visa is, as I mentioned and you read on the website I included, a special thing just for now, due to the Olympics in Rio.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

If you want to double-check, call the Consulate or Embassy for Brazil and for Argentina in the U.S. and ask about the visa, during your dates of travel. I don't know where you're located, so I'm giving you the Washington D.C. information:

Washington, D.C.
Brazilian Embassy_Click to go to web site***** NW
Washington, DC ###-##-#######) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Consular Service***** N.W.
Washington, DC ###-##-#######) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####br />E-mail: *****@******.***

------------

Embassy of Argentina

1600 New Hampshire Ave,

NW Washington, DC 20009

map

Phone(###) ###-####/(###) ###-####/p>

Fax(###) ###-####/p>

*****@******.***

Hours of operation

Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM

Emergencies

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

------------------------

Please see this, too:

http://www.embassyofargentina.us/en/consular-section/visas.html

-------

Scroll down the page.

Please remember to rate my answer positively, so I am credited for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going and if you need any further help with this question.

If you found my answer helpful, please let me know here, and/or rate positively so I receive credit for my time and assistance. That would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now when you say to double check with Embassy I feel uncomfortable with your answer that we do not need a visa. I took your answer to begin with as a final answer and we did not have to check any further. Please confirm. Thank you.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry to have caused any confusion. I got the information from the Embassy/Consulates of the countries you will be visiting, and included this information in the links in my answer, so this is my final answer.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, again.

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going. I hope all is well! I know your trip is coming up soon and that's exciting!

I hope you found my answer helpful, including all the pertinent information from the appropriate agencies to give you the best answer, and if so, please let me know. If you need any additional information, please simply click 'Reply' and I will be glad to help you further.

I look forward to hearing back from you and/or receiving a positive rating.

Many thanks!
Cher

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am an immigration expert and DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, not an author and informational specialist as your previous expert.

What additional questions did you have for us about the visa requirements for Brazil (they have indeed been lifted as you were told) and Argentina also has joined the visa waiver program as well?

You can see from the US State Department, no visa is required for Argentina: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/argentina.html

Brazil typically requires a visa, but for the summer because of the Olympics they have suspended that visa requirement, see also US State Department: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/brazil.html

Here is what the Brazilian Consulate says:

TEMPORARY UNILATERAL VISA WAIVER FOR CERTAIN NATIONALITIES DURING THE 2016 RIO OLYMPICS

American, Australian, Canadian and Japanese nationals going to Brazil exclusively for tourism activities, entering Brazil between June 1st and September 18th, 2016, will be eligible for a 90 day, non-extendable, unilateral visa waiver counted from the first entry within that period. It will not be necessary to have a ticket for an official game to benefit from this waiver.