Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My ex wife forged my name on a student loan document and had

Customer Question
it notarized at a local...
my ex wife forged my name on a student loan document and had it notarized at a local bank. Law enforcement is handling the forgery but my question is can the notary and the bank who employees her be held liable as this incident has caused my credit to crash?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/26/2016
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 1 year ago
Kim Courtney

Hello, I am happy to assist.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, the notary is responsible, and you could file an ethical claim against their notary license. They may lose it for doing this. The bank may also have some liability if the notary was working for them at the time she did this as an agent of the bank.

If you file suit, I would include your ex wife, the notary, and the bank in the suit.

I hope this helps,

Kim

Tina, Lawyer