How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

From January 2013 to June 2014 I worked small business in

Customer Question

From January 2013 to June 2014 I worked for a small business in Houston TX. During this time the owner of the company and I were in a personal relationship. We had a verbal agreement that I would be salaried at $600/wk. I had received a few checks in the later half of 2013, but that was all. I have been searching for the right way to go about receiving compensation for the time I wasn't paid and have contacted lawyers who deal with unpaid wages, but can't seem to find anyone to take the case. I would prefer to try and settle this outside of court, but he will not entertain the idea of payment unless I have an attorney. What do I do now? Is there anything I can do? What type of attorney should I be searching for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Have you contacted the Department of Labor or the Texas Workforce Commission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have contacted Texas Workforce Commission. They would not take the case because it had been more than 180 days since the date i was filing for. They suggested I hire an attorney.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Usually the best thing is to file through the state but if they won't take it then that rules that out. You want to hire a lawyer that does employment law or civil litigation to handle things like this. You can also file the lawsuit yourself, although it is difficult to handle cases like this. You would file through the Justice of the Peace Court in Texas and there are several books that will help you to handle your case, like the one at