Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My personal info was put on a craigslist post twice without

Customer Question

Hello my personal info was put on a craigslist post twice without my permission
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us? Do you know who is doing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know who it is. It someone who got upset because I changed my mind about responding to a personal ad. He then proceeded to find my personal info online and is posting it on cl.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know what I can do to make him stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you still there?
Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the delay, as we are working with multiple customers at one time and they all need the same time. I thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thanks I prefer to type thank you
Thank you for your reply.
What personal information are they posting about you? Also, if you have no idea who it is doing it you will have a problem taking action against anyone, since craigslist is not legally liable for what users of the site post on the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
calling me names and posting pictures of me, and my address
Thank you for your reply.
You are going to have to find out who this is doing this in order to take any action. This could be very costly legally, since you would have to file a suit against "john doe" and then subpoena craigslist to try to get the IP address of the poster and then you would have to go to the internet company associated with the IP and serve a subpoena on them for the owner of the IP and if they used a public IP it may mean that after all of that you still may not identify them to sue them for stalking (it is electronic stalking) and harassment and seek damages.
This is really the only way you can deal with it legally through any legal means other than keep reporting it to craigslist for abuse and to seek to have it removed each time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can craigslist ban the type of posting if he keeps using the same word and phrases?
Thank you for your reply.
Craigslist will not limit words or phrases I am afraid to say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whenever a post is put up, anyone can reply to it. A message will go to the creator of the post. Will it be possible to send a Cease and Desist letter to the poster via the reply option? If he does it again, it would be the 3rd time he has done it.
Thank you for your reply.
You can complain to craigslist to get the posts removed, but again in order to find out who this person is (if they are not using an anonymous email address that cannot be traced) you would have to sue as I explained above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. But the letter will go directly to the person who created the post. Craigslist will create a email address for you, all responses get sent to the poster's personal email address. He'll see the cease and desist letter.
You can send the letter to cease and desist and they will get it, but if they do not cease you would have to sue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. If I have you or another lawyer send it, will that cost anything?
Thank you for your reply.
Legally, no attorney on this site may represent anyone from this site, it is forbidden by state law. So we cannot send the letter, you would need a local attorney to do that and you can get one at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com and they usually charge about $150-$300 depending on the attorney.