How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know what kind of compensation that I can

Customer Question

I would like to know what kind of compensation that I can demand for the lost time/productivity and s mental stress related to a bed bug bites at a fancy hotel. Below is what I wrote to the hotel manager who called me today. I have evidence of pictures and I complained that they did not call me immediately upon seeing my note. He said they brought the company to inspect the room and treat it. I demanded the report to support his statement that the company did not find any more bugs but he said he does not have the report but only receipt for the payment. I am even more upset to learn that while they took the step to contain the room from the bedbug (he confirmed that it was indeed bedbug), they did not bother to inform me to take a necessary measure to contain potential infection in my apartment. I am currently in a clinic which confirmed that I have bug bites with inflammatory response.
I would appreciate to know how and how much I can ask for compensation. I am a full professor (annual income of 200,000$). I had to spend a lot of time to research for the potential issues and had to see a doctor because the bites are getting so swollen and started to discharge. Please let me know if you need further info.
I was a guest in room 1105 from Sunday to Monday as a guest of Brown University. I woke up early in the morning on Monday and saw a bug (see pictures attached) and killed it by squeezing it between the bed-sheet. I was very upset seeing the enormous blood. Without knowing what it was, I left a message with my phone number, hoping that your hotel will let me know what needs to be done if this can cause a serious infestation in my apartment upon my return home and also your hotel takes a proper step, e.g. Not to rent the room, to contain the problem.
I woke up in my apartment today (Tuesday) with 8 bug bites with severe allergic responses (please see one of them in the attached), including a big one on my head under my hair. While searching google images, I learned that it was a bed bug.
I am concerned if I have brought any bug from your hotel room to my apartment and I need to know, maybe too late, what I should do to contain potential damage and infestation. I live in a big high-rise condominium in Manhattan and I am very afraid that I might have brought a disaster to my condo. Christy told me that you would call me to handle this. I would appreciate to hear from you at your earliest convenience.
Of note, a room service lady saw the situation when she delivered breakfast to my room but she told me to contact hotel because she is working for a restaurant. I was in a hurry and I thought the memo was enough. I am just very surprised that no one from your hotel contacted me!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. As far as damages you can claim the cost of the room that you paid as well as whatever it costs you to have your clothing that was in the room cleaned, any medical bills that you get for having this treated, any medications that you receive (some people want to get special shampoo from the doctor since the OTC brands don't work that well). etc. Also, if you need to get your house exterminated quickly then you could almost certainly recover for that if you brought a lawsuit. You probably want to speak to an exterminator with experience in this area and ask them the best steps to take and also ask them if they would be willing to put it into writing since you are going to have to turn in a claim and potentially sue.You can ask for monetary damages for the bites themselves but generally this isn't going to be a big amount and many people end up asking for too much and then having to fight over their entire claim. A few hundred to a thousand dollars is the likely amount that they will consider as fair compensation for the bites alone but the actual costs involved in the remainder are whatever they are and it wouldn't be unusual for the costs to be fairly high to get an apartment exterminated, clothing and suitcases cleaned, etc.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
This part of the post is to clear the queue. It looked like it "hung up" so I wanted to make sure you got the answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So if I were to ask for compensation other than the expenses related to contain the damage as you elaborated, what would those be and under what category, e.g time to be away from work and lost productivity or stresses. This information will be useful to itemize my requests.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
If you are required to be away from work for whatever reason then the proper term for the loss of income is "lost wages". I'm not sure what other potential expenses you are talking about but you can generally categorize them using the common name. For instance, technically a loss of the value of a car due to it being in a wreck is "diminution in value" but you can just call it "reduction in value" and that's fine in dealing with an adjuster. It's not imperative that you use the correct legal term in trying to settle.You may want to pick up the e-book at . It is both inexpensive and easy to understand. While the topic there is specifically car wrecks, the information given in there will still apply to your case since the e-book really explains how adjusters think and how to present your case for damages in a way that makes it more likely to settle and at a higher amount. It covers a variety of topics and damages.