How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband's divorce went through in 1981 or 1982. In his

Customer Question

My husband's divorce went through in 1981 or 1982. In his papers, it says his ex-wife gets his life insurance policy. I was wondering, can we get an addendum after all these years of being married (we were married in 1982) to change that? Would we have to go back to court? She lives in another state. Or, if I take out my own policy on him, is she entitled to that also as it would be "life insurance".. Divorce papers were very vague back then. Thank you
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No because I'm on a fixed income now and not sure what this would cost.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Well, that's pretty much it. We're trying to avoid going back to court with her, because he does not have contact with her or his daughter or his two grandchildren due to past arguments, etc., and his ex is the type that would show up in court with his daughter and grandchildren, just to hurt him.. We're just trying to avoid the emotional strain. Also, one of her family members is a lawyer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so. I don't have much knowledge on this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.Has your husband had any discussion with the ex regarding the change?