How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29984
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is not a lawyers question! My mother is a ninety-six

Customer Question

This is not a lawyers question!
My mother is a ninety-six year old widow. My father died in 1968. Both she and my father worked and made SS contributions. As a retiree, she now lives on her SS. Is she entitled to the widows benefit based on my late fater's SS contributions? Or is this an either/or situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It is an either/or situation. Your mother is entitled to benefits based on her earnings record, or your father's earnings record if it would be more, but not both. Because she has reached the full retirement age, she should get your father's entire benefit, however, it may be less than the amount she's getting based on her own earnings record. The best way to find out is to call Social Security and ask them to run the calculations. She could also make an appointment and visit a local office if she preferred.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any more help with this?