How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118776
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am involved in a divorce in the state of Florida. During

Customer Question

I am involved in a divorce in the state of Florida. During the trial I became very ill (heart issues) the Judge allowed me to leave the hearing to seek medical help which I did. My Doctor advised the court in writing of mty issues with my heat(I had a double bi pass surgerypreviously) and said I was not healthy enough to be in court at that time. My attorney petitioned the court for a continuance which the Judge denied. Furthermore without me being present she forced my attorney to profer testimony which he didn't have sufficient information and without my authority. At the end of that hearing the Judge awarded my exwife my home in South Carolina and the balance of 2 corporate checking accounts. etc etc Have my constitutional right to a fair trial been violated? do I have rights to a law suit to overturn this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Well, your right to fair and meaningful due process have been compromised for certain. So yes, you had a right to competent counsel and also to present your evidence and the judge denying your continuance for a reasonable period of time would be grounds to file an appeal arguing that the judge abused his discretion. If you are already appealing, this had to be included in your appeal, you cannot have any separate lawsuit or anything else, this had to be included as one of your grounds for appeal as that is where to object to this.