How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Apparently, I wrote a bad check to the California Dept of

Customer Question

Hi, Apparently, I wrote a bad check to the California Dept of Motor Vehicles back in 2000. Its now 2016 and they are sending my employer an "Earnings Withholding Order for Vehicle Registration Debt-DC". Can they legally collect this money 16 years after the check was written?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello​This Is Samuel. Unfortunately, the answer is yes. There are no statute of limitations on the collection of a debt when it is owed to a government entity.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you can contact the collection agency and see if they will agree to take a lesser amount as after 16 years the amount paid on the bad check has probably accumulate interest.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
The collection agency should be the Central Collections agency for the county where the check bounced.