How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

NiCor collection agrkeepency keeps contacting me regarding a

Customer Question

NiCor collection agrkeepency keeps contacting me regarding a bill from 2011 I do not owe. We had moved out of the premises in question December 2010. They say i owe for January, Febuary, and March of 2011. I have contacted Nicor and the collection agency and explained everything. I went to te rental complex and was told that the property had been sold two times since i lived there and they could not give any information. I went to the county office and tried to get help but they had no way to help either. i need help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of practice experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today. There are actually two things that you can and should do in furtherance of your efforts (By the way, you have done great up to this point and those efforts will be good evidence of your own due diligence moving forward): - You can file a complaint against this entity with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional regulation for violation of the Illinois Collection Agency Act (ICCA). This law prohibits the attempt to collect invalid debts. Since this debt is not valid, this entity has violated your rights and you should file a complaint against them. - You should also file a complaint with the Attorney General of the State of Illinois. The AGs Office also investigates unfair or invalid attempts to collect debts and can prosecute these entities for doing this to you. You can also file a complaint against NiCor with the United States Federal Trade Commission for violation of the federal law prohibiting and regulating unfair debt collection practices. NiCor will receive notice of your complaints from all of these entities and will likely stand down before they face civil penalties as a result of their actions. Moreover, they may face civil penalties for their actions anyway. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings interface on your end. Thank you and best wishes!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions or concerns? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward here. Thanks