How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been separated from my husband year. I hired a lawyer to

Customer Question

ive been separated from my husband for a year. I hired a lawyer to which i am very unsatisfied with.My soon to be x is a drunk. HE GOT LOCKED UP several times for being drunk and abusive to me. on April 10, 2015 he came home drunk and very irate. i was there with two of my children one whom is disabled. i called the police to our home..when they got there they already knew him from prior arrest. (this time i called the police before it got physical) so the female officer told him to get some clothes and she would take him to a motel to spend the night so he could sober up...well he decided when he got out side that he needed to go to his shop in our yard before they took him~~well he went in the shop and got his weed and rolling papers.They then arrested him for that. on april 11 2015 I went and signed him out. when he got home he got his things and moved out. then on or about april 25 2015 he went and paid the water and power people a extra fee to have it turned off that day. I did not work because i stayed home with my disabled son. So i began looking for a roomate. I had heard that he was going with a female at a local bar around may 11 2015 me and my best friend went to the bar to see for our selves i am not a bar type person prior to this night i hadnt been in a bar in 17 years. He and i had talked several times and we both knew we were not getting back together. that night that i went to see what female he was with at the bar,he wasnt there but i did meet a very nice gentleman.He became a very good friend of mine. He did come to my home to do some home improvements. He owns his own buisness doing this. One thing he put in a new back door for me. Well next thing i know a man is knocking on my door with divorce papers. I had been served with divorce papers for adultery. I still do not understand to this day how i can be accused of this. I never cheated on him in the 13 years that we were together. We split up due to his drinking and smoking pot and going to jail. april I didnt even know the one i have been accused of going with until a month after my husband moved out. in our first hearing the judge put me and my disabled son out of our home because of this. My lawyer hasnt done one thing to help me in any way. i dont know if i should fire him or what to do? can someone please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also if i fire my lawyer do i have to pay him for whatever work it is that he thinks he has done?
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, keep in mind that at the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!This is a terrible situation that you're in and something needs to be done immediately. Yes, you should fire your lawyer and find another one asap. You may be able to negotiate with your lawyer about the money owed because I don't know what he did for you but he prepared for the hearing (not well enough, I agree) and appeared at the hearing for you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
What you should do is find another family lawyer in your area, and I can give you a list of names of family lawyers if you want. There is no fee for this. I can't recommend anyone but I can give you a list of family lawyers in your area if you want. I would need your nearest town or city and then I'll provide a list and explain what to look out for. For example, you don't want a lawyer who has misconduct next to his or her name.Your new lawyer should file divorce papers for you, including a cross-petition so that it's as if you filed your own claim for divorce. In it, even though SC has no-fault divorce, apparently the judge wasn't happy with the adultery claim, so you will probably be filing not under the no-fault but under a claim of Habitual drunkenness and/or Drug Abuse which is still recognized as grounds for divorce in SC. You need to set the record straight. He obviously beat you to the courthouse with the divorce papers, but that doesn't mean that he can continue with that once you oppose it with your own counterclaim for divorce for habitual drunkenness and/or drug abuse, which is a ground for divorce in SC. Your new attorney needs to do a motion asap to get you and your child or children back into the house, support, and other immediate relief. You do have a chance to turn things around here with a new lawyer. Just let me know if you want me to give you a list of lawyers in your area by letting me know which town or city you're near.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Does this answer your question? If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you. Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!I will check back here to see if you want information about lawyers in your area, and I'll be here most of the evening. Thanks in advance for rating me.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you want any additional information. I will be happy to provide it for you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks!Customer