Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My partner passed away in January. Before he died we had 2

Customer Question
vehicles payed off. The titles...
My partner passed away in January. Before he died we had 2 vehicles payed off. The titles read his name or My name. His son went to motor vehicle and removed my name from the titles He came to my house and had the vehicles towed off. We were together 25 years but not married. His son made himself the executor of his estate. There was no will. Is this legal to have my name removed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/21/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney
Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and i look forward to assisting you. My condolences fro your loss.No, it is not legal what the executor did. You have an interest in the title and since the other title holder died you had the right to change the title to your own name since either title holder could act without the consent of the other. You might owe the estate for their share of the value.You can file an action for replevin in the county court where the cars are being kept. That is a petition where you ask a judge to restore possession to you of your property being held by someone else. The order to restore possession is under threat of being held in contempt. The court also has discretion to order money damages for the loss of use.
It is recommended you retain local counsel before you file in court. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.
Loren, Attorney