How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27454
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have several complaints about my probation officer. I feel

Customer Question

I have several complaints about my probation officer. I feel as if she is harassing me. I have been doing everything she saids but I haven't stopped seeing my boyfriend who is on parole. I am afraid she is trying to send me to prison for association. My boyfriend is off of parole in August and she just won't leave us alone. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, It is a standard stipulation of probation that probationers refrain from associating with others who have criminal records. For that matter, it is typical of Parole to require parolees to avoid others with criminal records, as well. So yours is not a question of a harassing probation officer. This is a potential violation for both of you just waiting to happen, because you are not doing everything you are supposed to do when you are on probation. Probation and parole have been known to keep spouses apart, to keep parents from seeing their children, to keep an engaged couple from being married or to keep two people from moving in together. Their only concern is to keep probationers and parolees from situations that may make them more likely to reoffend. These rules have been upheld. Probation is in lieu of jail. That is, the only reason you're at liberty is because you agreed to be bound by what your probation officer believes is in your best interest. That's true even if you disagree with her, because you have given up almost all of your rights in order to remain at liberty. One right you have left, however, is the right to a hearing. A judge has the power to overrule probation. Though they don't like to go against probation, they will do it to prevent an injustice. So talk to your lawyer, and see if between the two of you, you can come up with an argument that is compelling enough for the judge to agree to let you see your boyfriend. Then have him present it to the judge. Otherwise, unfortunately, your probation officer can and will violate you. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.