How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116728
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name isfour years and the child support accumulated then

Customer Question

my name isfour years and the child support accumulated then with some super high interest I was locked up about 16 years ago for four years and the child support accumulated then with some super high interest now I'm done paying support and I've gotten a letter saying I have to start paying again or I will be thrown in jail now I'm wondering can I be thrown in jail for interest on the account thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you can be thrown in jail for any non-payment of support, including interest that accrued. However, as long as you are making some reasonable effort to pay what is due and are making payments, the courts are most times willing to not put someone in jail because they rather the person pay and putting them in jail can cause loss of any job that allows them to pay. So, the court is not looking to put you in jail, but if you do not make payments of any money due (since the interest accrued through your own fault of being sent to jail) the court will hold you in contempt and put you in jail and that does not end your problem because when you get out the money will still be due.
So, the best thing here is to seek to set up a payment plan and begin payments and file a motion to reduce or waive interest in the court and ask the court to reduce or waive interest due or a portion of it anyhow based on you proving an extreme financial hardship to the court.

Related Legal Questions