How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42909
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is 78 yrs he's wanting to remove his name from his

Customer Question

My father is 78 yrs he's wanting to remove his name from his home deed and leave me as owner so in case he has to go into nursing home what's the risks with this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. Here is what I would suggest.A lady bird or enhanced life estate deed.This leaves him with life estate and it passes by deed to you here as remainderman upon his death.It avoids medicaid issues about gifting and no probate so they cannot file a claim here, it transfers by deed.These are recognized in Oklahoma. There is a 5 year look back if he flat out gifts it to you, which means he would be ineligible for up to 5 years as a penalty.The life estate avoids that issue . I t also keeps the taxes low since he is life tenant until he deceases here. Reference Form you will use This is the best way to accomplish this and avoid medicaid issues if he needs nursing home care. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
You would have him sign the life estate deed here and file it in your county deed records.You will need to get the legal description of his prior deed.