TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

How long after purchasing a time share can i turn it in. I

Customer Question

How long after purchasing a time share can i turn it in. I had already purchased a time share 20 yrs ago, and I went to Las Vegas and they told me a bunch of lies to trade in my 3 bedroom in Orlando for a VIP room in Las Vegas. Now I have a bill for $15,000. This occurred on January 1, 2016. Help! Help
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. I'm sorry to say that the general rule is that a consumer has just 3 days to back out of a timeshare. Accordingly, if this occurred in January 2016, then it would be far too late to rescind the sale. However, the answer is different if you were defrauded (which may be the case if you were lied to). If you were defrauded, then you would still have time to take action, though it would have to be in the form of a lawsuit. The statute of limitations for fraud varies by state, so it depends on where you would sue (e.g., Florida or Nevada), but in either state, the statute of limitations has not expired, so you have time no matter where you sue. If you opt to file a lawsuit, then I strongly suggest that you contact a local real estate attorney, since this would not be a simple small claims matter. Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.