Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a medically certified marijuana user in Tucso. I use

Customer Question
tinctures and would like to...
I am a medically certified marijuana user in Tucso. I use tinctures and would like to know how i can safely take the botle on a plane from Tucson to NY
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/19/2016
Lawyer: Cerecita,
 replied 1 year ago
Cerecita
Hello, and welcome. The good news is, if you have this tincture in a bottle that's less than 3 ounces and put it in your quart ziploc bag with your other liquids, aerosols and gels, with your carry-on luggage, there's a chance that the TSA screener won't particularly notice it and you can board the plane with it. However, there is always a chance that the particular TSA screener will see it and not allow you to fly with it, as it is federally illegal, even though you have a medical certificate, etc. BUT, what's more important, is that you will be entering a state where it is NOT legalized for medical use (New York), and then you would be breaking the law, again, if any TSA screeners or law enforcement are made aware of it. In addition, when leaving NY to fly home to Tucson, you face an even more serious problem, if it is found in your carry-on luggage or checked baggage. Please see the following: https://www.medicaljane.com/2013/10/07/tsa-policy-flying-with-medicinal-marijuana/--------It does not fall under the category of 'other medicines', as far as the TSA is concerned, because it is not federally legal and the TSA is a federal agency. I hope this helped, even though it may not have been the type of answer you were hoping for. I hope you found this information helpful and will please take a moment to choose a positive rating from the top of your page and then click 'submit'; this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you, today. Thank you very much! Just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue, if you need more information. Warmest wishes,Cher
Lawyer: Briarcliff767,
 replied 1 year ago
Briarcliff767
Hi ,My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you. Since NY is a medical marijuana state you are not limited to the amount that you can take. And since this is a medication you are NOT limited to the amount that you can take with you on the plane. There is no 3 ounce rule for medications as the previous expert stated. I would state that you make sure to take with you a letter from your doctor stating that this is a medical medicine that you have. Please let me know if you have further questions. Hope
Briarcliff767
Briarcliff767
Briarcliff767