Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Our 30 year old daughter with Down Syndrome works at a Fry's

Customer Question
grocery store and is being...
Our 30 year old daughter with Down Syndrome works at a Fry's grocery store and is being treated poorly at work, managers and clerks making her feel stupid in the way the speak down to her, not giving her adequate time to use the restroom to pull up her varicose vein stockings, passively bully her and have cut her hours back to one 4 hour shift a week. She has worked for the company for over 10 years as a courtesy clerk and the shoppers love her. It's only a small number of people who treat her this way. We moved her from one store location to this one because of the same behavior there, but many of those horrible people have now transferred to this store. What should we do short of quitting? I can't stand seeing her cry all the time. We just don't know how to resolve this issue. It seems her rights are being violated and she is not assertive enough to stand up for herself at the time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/18/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
I am so sorry to hear this. You first need to notify HR and see if they will address it. If they do not then you need to retain an employment law attorney to possibly file a lawsuit. There are claims here such as harassment, a hostile work environment, and failure to make accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer