Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

HEAD LINE,"13 MEN ARRESTED IN PROSTITUTION STING". MAY 15,2016,MARIN

Customer Question
INDEPENDENT JOURNAL.ALL WERE CITED (LATINOS).NAMES...
HEAD LINE,"13 MEN ARRESTED IN PROSTITUTION STING". MAY 15,2016,MARIN INDEPENDENT JOURNAL.ALL WERE CITED (LATINOS).NAMES PRINTED IN PAPER. ADS POSTED ON LINE BY 3(THREE) SEPERATE POLICE AGENCIES AT LOCAL SAN RAFAEL HOTELS. SUSPECTED "DATE" GIRLS OFFERRED SOCIAL SERVICES AND RELEASED. 2nd time in 6 months this has happened. QUESTION. IS THIS PROFILING? ENTRAPMENT?LEGAL? THEY USED TO PUT THE GIRLS IN THE BUCKET AND THE GUYS WENT FREE. JOHN ORTEGA
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/18/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Dear Customer,The use of "sting" operations is common practice and in the vast majority of cases law enforcement follows proper procedure to avoid entrapment and profiling issues.I would caution you against making an assumption regarding how police operations (or legal processes in general) are being handled based on news reports. Some articles are better than others, but news reporting fails to provide the necessary level of detail and facts to provide you with the information required to make a determination as to whether or not the actual operations in question are handled to the requisite standards.If you are interested, you can try to follow up on these individual arrests by tracking the criminal cases (I believe that the Marin County Courts have an online docket that you can use) this will let you know what charges (if any) are filed by the DA's office, if the matters went to trial, and what the final verdict of any such trials would be.You can also try contacting the District Attorney's office directly if you would like more information on their sex trafficking division. Marin, like many other departments, have taken a more aggressive approach towards the johns as opposed to the prostitutes as there has been a great deal of evidence pointing towards both greater success in curbing prostitution in this way, as well as better addressing the issues of sex trafficking than past practices.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney