How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33397
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Parents lived in a memory care unit. on 10/4/15 we moved parents

Customer Question

Parents lived in a memory care unit. on 10/4/15 we moved parents from this facility because of our concerns with the health and welfare of our parents. dad was diagnosed as being malnourished. we have received bills from the memory care facility that state since we did not provide a full 30 day notice upon leaving we are being charged for expenses from 10/1 - 10/12. We told them that the only reason we moved our parents from the facility was because of their rapid decline and lack of care and we refused to have them stay any longer as we found a more suitable living facility for them. This memory care unit is now trying to force us to make this payment and have placed the bill into collections. what are the next steps for this issue...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The best thing to do is get a local lawyer to write them a letter contesting the amount and also point out that the move was required due to the poor care they were receiving. The lawyer can also mention in a discreet way that if they continue to press on the issue or place it on your credit report that you are going to pursue your options through the state licensing agency. You DO NOT want to try and do this letter yourself since if you don't word it correctly it could be construed as blackmail/extortion.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
The local lawyer shouldn't charge you much, if anything, for the letter.