How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7415
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2009 defaulted on a credit card assist program. Served a summons

Customer Question

2009 defaulted on a credit card assist program. Served a summons by lender in 11-2010, Never went to court, signed a document called a Stipulated Settlement and continued to make payments for 3 years when I was asked if I could come up with a settlement amount. They did not accept my settlement and told me they would get back to me. Didn't hear a word. They filed a request for entry of dismissal (without prejudice) in 2011 and in 2014 a collection agency filed a substitution of attorney. I never signed anything with new law firm but continued to make random payments as I financially could. Just received a Notice of Motion and Motion for Order Vacating Dismissal and Entering Judgement with a reservation for a court date, in the mail -these people don't call. Questions: did these people purchase the debt? I don't have the means to pay this off in a lump sum, so since the notice to appear is in 60 days should I appear or should I try and negotiate a settlement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
don't know if these people paid a dime for this debt or if original lender ever sees a dime of it It sounds like the account has been sold, perhaps to a zombie debt collector for pennies on the dollar. The key question here is: how will entry of a judgment affect you? If you are employed, they can obtain a wage garnishment, if you own other assets like a care that's paid for, or have money in the bank that can be levied on, that could be a problem. Without knowing your exact financial condition, it's hard to advise you. If the loan was sold, the new owner must be substituted for the original creditor-bank. The case cannot be re-opened in the name of a different creditor, and that would be grounds to object to the current motion. It might also open the door again for settlement negotiations. Depending on your financial position, a good attorney with collection experience might come in handy at this point.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive.