Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A contractor was suppose to do a job but instead he

Customer Question
A contractor was suppose to...
A contractor was suppose to do a job for me but instead he took off with 1025 dollars and now I can't contact him this was in March, I have the cancelled checks and the contract with his signature. Tried having the police serve him with the small claims suit but they failed to serve him so my case is being dismissed. I also sent a demand letter for which somebody else signed off on and they happen to be on his facebook friends list. I know he is hiding but wonder if there is anything else i could do. I am retired military and 63 years old, and did something stupid like pay up front. Not 1 nail was driven. I have tried other ways of contact i.e. social network and phone texts all being ignored. Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/16/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. 1) Did you ask the judge about substituted service?2) Have you considered hiring a private investigator to locate him?3) Have you talked to the police about fraud?4) Have you considered hiring a lawyer?
Tina, Lawyer