How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27710
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son 17 was at a friends house in the yard drinking a beer

Customer Question

My son 17 was at a friends house in the yard drinking a beer when cops showed up for noise complaint. They made him blow and released him to adult of the house. They told him they were handing over to prosecutor and did not issue a citiation. Is it legal in wa. State for your child to drink on private property with parent consent. Or does the parent have to be present
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Unfortunately, for an exception to the minor in consumption of alcohol to apply, a parent or guardian would have to be actually present. You can read the law as to this offense and the various exceptions here.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, forgot the link:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This will not effect his license at all? He was not in or by @ vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this effect his license
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Your son is a juvenile still in Washington State. Typically, unless he has a record already, this case would be diverted and he would get a chance to enter into a special program where he faced a period of supervision during which time he'd have to stay out of trouble, pay some fines, do some community service and take some anti-alcohol classes. If he does all he's supposed to during the probation period, the case would be dismissed. In that way he should be able to avoid the 1-year suspension of his driver's license, which your state imposes upon minors after a conviction for this offense regardless of whether an automobile was involved in this incident or not.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.